Protect Your Well Water After a Natural Disaster or Emergency
Flooding, earthquakes, landslides, and other natural disasters can impact the safety of your drinking water by allowing contaminants to enter your private well system. If you suspect your drinking water well may be contaminated after a flood or another natural disaster, contact your local or state health department or environmental agency for advice on inspecting and testing your well. You can also call Mike’s Pump & Well Services who has with experience in servicing drinking water wells and can inspect and test your well.
Water well flood response steps
- Stay away from the well pump while flooded to avoid electric shock.
- Do not drink or wash from the flooded well to avoid becoming sick.
- Get assistance from a well or pump contractor to clean and disinfect your well before turning on the pump.
- After the pump is turned back on, pump the well until the water runs clear to rid the well of flood water.
- If the water does not run clear, get advice from the county or state health department or extension service.
EPA provides more specific steps for well owners to follow in its short guide “What to do After the Flood”.
Water well natural disaster and emergency response
Flooding is a common cause of private well contamination. However, there are other emergencies which can impact well water safety. West Central Florida is no stranger to rain or hurricanes, so it’s a good idea to be prepared in case any natural disaster should occur.
Problems can arise at any time of the day or night, so our technicians are available every hour of every day to provide the service that you need. The owners answer our phones unless we’re currently working with another valued customer. If we miss your call, please leave a message and we will return your call within 10 minutes.
Our primary focus is customer service. Our experienced, knowledgeable technicians can work with any kind of well or pump—residential, commercial, or industrial. Through continuing education, we ensure we can always provide the services you need.